Home Apply Now Request Info

Phone: 800-804-1388 | E-mail: info@abtu.edu

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program - VRAP
Provides Educational Assistance for Veterans

Will the government shutdown
impact my VRAP funds?
** Get answers here **

The 5 month Information Technology Certificate is VRAP eligible and is designed to provide students with the fundamental computer knowledge and skills required in the current corporate workplace. The student will demonstrate acquired skills in utilizing computer tools, database management, and business and web applications in the workplace. Click here to view the program.

The main purpose of this page is to provide veterans a consolidated location for all important information regarding VRAP.
We would also like to share with you the top reasons Veterans choose ABTU to use their VRAP funds.

* No upfront tuition payment
* No out of pocket cost
* Tuition is half the national average
* Easy monthly payments that don’t use up your whole monthly benefit

We have done research and read over hundreds of blogs and are noticing there are a lot of people with unanswered questions. The VA is overwhelmed with calls so we decided to setup a dynamic page that is updated daily with questions from veterans and answers from qualified school certifying officials. Be sure to view our eligible programs, 12 months or less.

**Click Here** to see a list of VRAP eligible Programs at American Business and Technology University

We are here to assist you regardless of what school you choose. ABTU has 3 school certifying officials that were trained by VA officers directly on the VRAP program. The training took place in July 2012, so the information is fresh. Feel free to use the “Ask a question” form or live chat with us at any time.
We hope we are able to help and we are committed to continuing our mission of serving veterans as we have for many years.


The ABTU Staff

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program - VRAP - American Business and Technology University

ABTU & VRAP is a Winning Combination

Online military-friendly schools like the American Business and Technology University (ABTU) offer affordable one-year technical diploma programs and two year associates degrees that are included under VRAP.
ABTU's accredited VRAP-eligible programs include, Network Administration and Information Security, Health and Information Technology, Computer Programming, Criminal Justice and Business Administration and Information Technology.

Verify Your Attendance

Or verify by phone:

VRAP Eligible Programs at American Business and Technology University:

* Certificate of Information Technology

FAQ and Additional Information about VRAP:

► Can I pursue a 2 year degree under VRAP?

Yes, providing the program is associated with one of the high demand occupations. Also VRAP will fund only 12 months of the program.

► Where do I go to find a list of VRAP eligible schools?

Well, the Institute of Education Sciences gives us a nice search tool for this... Check it out (http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/)

► I have a bachelors degree. Do I still qualify for VRAP?

Yes, qualifying is not based on education attained but rather the degree or certification you are going to pursue.

► Can I Change My Program Of Study Or My School If I'm Already Using VRAP?

If you've received any VRAP payments and want to change to a different school, all credits earned under your initial VRAP enrollment must transfer to your new school. If they don't, you won't receive further payments under VRAP. If you have received any VRAP payments, you won't be allowed to change to another program of study - even at the same school - unless all your credits transfer to your new program. If you haven't gotten any VRAP payments and you want to train in a different program or at a different school you must submit a new "Application for VRAP Benefits" (VA Form 22-1990R) listing the new school and/or program of study.

► How do I apply for VRAP?

Go to the eBenefits website for VONAPP, veterans online application. The web address is in resource section.

► Can I use other sources of financial aide in conjunction with VRAP?

Yes. Contact your selected schools financial aide department to determine what is available.

► Do I need my DD-214?

Not to start the process. However before final certification you will need it. As a veteran you will need it to apply for any VA benefit. See website information in the resource section.

► How do I verify the status of my VRAP application?

You have 2 options. First you can go to va.gov and find the link to submit a question or use the direct link in the resource section. Secondly you can call 1-888-442-4551, Veterans Affairs Education Customer Service Office. The links and numbers are in the resource section.

► How does the VA verify school attendance?

You must verify your attendance on the last day of every month before your funds are disbursed. You have 2 options, online or by phone. Online you will utilize WAVE, web automated verification of enrollment or you can call IVR, interactive voice response, 1-877-823-2378. The web address and phone number are in the resource section.

► What is considered unemployed?

The Department of Labor defines "unemployed" as "People who are jobless, looking for jobs, and available for work." All three criteria must be met to be considered unemployed. Link in resource section.

► How does the VA verify unemployment?

Unemployment status is determined through self-attestation the day the Veteran applies for the program and they do not have to remain unemployed throughout the duration of the program.

► The school I want to attend wants tuition and fees upon enrollment. Will VRAP accommodate?

VRAP monies are paid in adheres. Most military friendly schools will coordinate payment schedules with VA disbursement of funds. Grants and typical financial aide are available through the school.

► Are online schools eligible for VRAP?

Yes. In order for a school to qualify it must be a two-year technical school and/or community college. It makes no difference if it is online.

► How much money will I be paid through the program?

$1564.00 per month for 12 months.

► How do I verify funds disbursement?

Verify that payment has been issued by contacting VA at http://www.gibill.va.gov/ press submit question button or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 [1-888-442-4551]).

► Can I receive VRAP funds and unemployment benefits at the same time?

In most cases, yes. You must verify with your local state employment office.

► What if I don’t have a bank account for direct deposit?

If you do not have or are not eligible for a checking or savings account may qualify for an Electronic Transfer Account (ETA). More information on the ETA account is available at https://www.eta-find.gov

► Do I have to be enrolled in a school to apply for VRAP?

No. However before receiving benefits you must be certified by the school you are enrolling in.

► Am I eligible for VRAP if I have transferred my Post 9/11 benefits to my spouse?

It depends on how much Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement you transferred. You may be eligible for VRAP if you transferred all unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a spouse or dependent child. To qualify for VRAP you cannot be eligible for an education program administered by VA. Verify with the VA.

► Do VRAP funds go directly to the school?

No. You receive them through direct deposit. It is your obligation to distribute owed monies to the school.

► How am I notified when I am approved for VRAP?

You will receive your COE, certificate of eligibility, letter from the VA. You will also receive a letter from Veterans Affairs indicating your direct deposit is set up.

► Can I attend a 4 year college?

No. VRAP only provides assistance for approved training offered at community colleges and technical schools. The term “community college” includes those educational institutions listed on the Department of Education's National Center for Educational Statistics’ http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/ College Navigator website as 2-year institutions.

► What is considered a fulltime student?

In a typical college situation fulltime is considered 12 credit hours. However with tech schools and other education institutions the system may be different. It needs to be verified with the veteran rep at the school.

► Can I work after I am approved for VRAP?

Yes. You only have to be unemployed only at the time of application for VRAP.

► How much time does it take for the VRAP approval process?

Typically 30 days or less. Verify application status by contacting the VA at http://www.gibill.va.gov/ press submit question button or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 [1-888-442-4551]).

► When do I receive VRAP monies?

Payments will be issued at the beginning of each month for training pursued the previous month. For example, VA will issue payments at the beginning of August 2012 for training pursued in July 2012. Before you can get paid your school must submit your enrollment information to VA and you must verify your attendance. You will be notified when VA has processed the enrollment information received from your school. You may verify your enrollment online via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) by clicking on the “Verify Attendance” button on the GI Bill website. You may also verify your attendance via telephone by calling 1-877 VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378).

► Does each school have a veterans representative?

Any school which accepts and deals with the GI Bill will have a certifying VA representative. Understand this individual is not a representative from the VA but rather someone trained by the school to deal with the veterans issues. Typically they will be found in the financial aide department.

► What are the steps to enroll with a VRAP eligible school?

• Apply for VRAP through eBenefits.
• Wait for COE letter.
• Select school.
• Take COE to school of choice.
• Verify attendance through WAVE.