Health Information Technology (CIP Code: 51.0707, 51.0710)
Print/Save page range: 49-50
Program Title: Health Information Technology
Completion Award: Technical Diploma
Contact Hours: 450
Outside Study Hours: 900
Pre-requisite: Highschool Diploma, GED or its equivalent is required for admission.
Semester Credits: 30 hours (including 3 semester credits of General Studies)
Program Duration: 60 weeks
Cost per Credit Hour: $249
Total Tuition: $7,470
Course Materials and Fees: $125
Total Course Materials and Fees: $1,250**
Total Cost of Program: $8,720 (including course materials and fees)
** For a detailed breakdown and description of the course materials, please refer to Course Materials under the Student Services section of the catalog.
The Technical Diploma in Health Information Technology program prepares individuals to perform functions and processes in healthcare facilities related to the daily operations. The graduate will demonstrate the basic understanding of medical terminology, medical transcription, insurance billing and coding practices, general office duties, and customer service.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate should be able to:
- ✓ Define medical terms related to common diseases and pathology by utilizing the learned foundations of medical word structure and abbreviations.
- ✓ Identify and describe the various body systems and the effects of medications and disease on those systems
- ✓ Summarize all types of insurance plans, filing guidelines, precertification and authorization procedures, and perform basic procedure and diagnostic coding for reimbursement.
- ✓ Perform general office duties relating to communication, supply and equipment maintenance, financial management, mail handling, and employment laws.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should possess the knowledge and skills required for employment as a Medical Office Assistant or focus on specialized entry-level positions such as Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Biller and Coder, or other similar positions within the healthcare field.
Disclaimer: Many companies, particularly within the Healthcare field, may require background checks and/or drug screenings as a qualification for employment.
* This course has a proctored final exam. Please refer to the Proctored Examination Policy and Procedure in the College Catalog or on the website at: www.abtu.acot.edu/policies/
Health Information Technology
|Course Code||Course Name||Course Type||Credits|
|CIS-100||IT (Information Technology) Fundamentals||Core||3|
|CIS-110||Integrated Business Applications||Core||3|
|HIT-100||Introduction to Healthcare||Core||3*|
|HIT-110||Medical Terminology I||Core||3|
|HIT-120||Medical Terminology II||Core||3*|
|HIT-135||Anatomy & Physiology with Pathophysiology||Core||3|
|HIT-145||Pharmacology for Medical Support Professionals||Core||3|
|HIT-150||Health Insurance Billing and Coding I||Core||3|
|HIT-160||Health Insurance Billing and Coding II||Core||3*|
|GEC-100||Basic English and Communications||Gen-Ed||3|
|Total Program Credits||30|