Certificate of Health Care Specialist
Print/Save page range: 53-54
Program Title: Health Care Specialist Certificate – Medical Billing and Coding
Completion Award: Health Care Specialist Certificate – Medical Billing and Coding
Contact Hours: 270
Outside Study Hours: 540
Semester Credits: 18 hours
Program Duration: 36 weeks
Cost per Credit Hour: $249
Course Materials and Fees: $125 per course
Total Tuition: $4,482
Total Course Materials and Fees: $750**
Total Cost of the Health Care Specialist Certificate : $5,232 (including course materials and fees)
The Health Care Specialist Certificate program provides opportunities for students to enter into the healthcare field or to add additional skills and credentials to students already working in the healthcare field. With courses aligned with the American Medical Certification Association (AMCA), students are able to obtain credentials required or preferred by employers in several health care sectors. All courses are transferrable to American Business & Technology Technical Diploma and Associate of Applied Science degrees in health care. The Health Care Specialist Certificate allows students to function as a productive and valuable member of the health care team. Students are stressed the importance of contributing to the well-being of the patient by demonstrating professional competence in their chosen specialty. Graduates may find employment in the healthcare field based on their program specialization.
Selecting the Medical Billing and Coding track prepares students for the following AMCA Certification Exam: Billing and Coding Specialist
- Define medical terms related to common diseases and pathology by utilizing the learned foundations of medical word structure and abbreviations.
- Describe all types of insurance plans, filing guidelines, precertification and authorization procedures, and perform basic procedure and diagnostic coding for reimbursement.
- Classify code and billing for medical services for insurance reimbursement in alignment with the ICD-10 and similar standards.
- Demonstrate compliance with HIPAA standards in relationship to administrative, physical, and technical safeguards; ensure adherence to medical, legal, and ethical standards; and penalties associated with HIPAA.
Upon successfully completing this program the graduate should qualify to fill entry-level positions in the corporate office structure and other positions requiring utilization of the concepts and skills of Information Technology.
Disclaimer: Many companies, particularly within the Healthcare field, may require background checks and/or drug screenings as a qualification for employment.
Health Care Specialist Certificate – Medical Billing and Coding
|Healthcare Specialist – Medical Billing & Coding Track|
|Course Code Course||Credits|
|HIT-100 Introduction to Healthcare||3|
|HIT-110 Medical Terminology I||3|
|HIT-120 Medical Terminology II||3|
|HIT-150 Health Insurance Billing & Coding I||3|
|HIT-160 Health Insurance Billing & Coding II||3|
|HIT-220 Medical Law and HIPAA Compliance||3|
In order for students to successfully complete their program, all required materials must be completed, submitted, and within the maximum program duration. Students who fail to complete the program at this level may appeal to the Director of Education for an extension.
Students can complete a course with a grade of “D” or 1.0, however, in order to meet SAP requirements and be able to graduate, the student has to have an overall average of “C” or (2.0 out of 4.0) for all courses and be able to complete all work required within 150% of the program duration or an additional year of the published length whichever is less.
* This course has a proctored final exam. Please refer to the Proctored Examination Policy and Procedure in the College Catalog or on the website at: http://abtu.edu/policies/
** For a detailed breakdown and description of the course materials, please refer to Course Materials under the Student Services section of the catalog.